Join me as I restore a broken ARP Omni 1.
In this first part, we evaluate the state of this Omni 1, and I discuss a little bit about what’s under the hood and my plan of attack for restoring it.
In the second part, we replace the aged tantalum capacitors in the synthesizer and visually inspect the boards for other signs of damage.
In this third part, we repair the power supply which had a few components go up in smoke, and we correct shoddy wiring left by the last person who worked on this.
In this final part we do a lot. We replace the old and gross sliders with blindingly bright blue LED sliders, perform an enhancement on the voltage controlled filter (VCF), replace some faulty switches. We also repair the strings not sounding stringy with a fix to the Phaser board.
Restored Omni synthesizers, parts, and repair service are available through my website. I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have about fixing your own synth.